Safety is always a priority here at DOT, and we want it to be a priority for you when you travel. This week we're sharing holiday travel safety tips from the experts here at DOT.
We know that a lot of Americans will choose to travel by bus this holiday season. America's commercial buses are a safe, affordable choice for your holiday travel. With convenient departure options and comfortable motorcoaches with power outlets and Wi-Fi, it's no wonder people are choosing buses over rising gas prices and crowded airports. In fact, more than 750 million people enjoy bus travel each year.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration wants to make sure passengers know how to find out about a bus company’s credentials and safety record. They’ve put together a great Safety Checklist, and you can start your safe journey by following these tips:
- Make sure your carrier has operating authority through FMCSA.
- If you're chartering a bus with a group, make sure you read the tips in this brochure.
- Get a Company Snapshot of your carrier’s statistics.
- A recent safety rating is a better indicator than a rating that is several years old.
And, once you’ve booked and boarded, remember to:
- Locate the emergency exit--it could be a window, skylight, or door--nearest your seat and read the instructions.
- If your carrier has provided a seatbelt, make sure you buckle up.
- Refrain from distracting your driver while the bus in motion.
- If you do observe a safety violation, you can help us by submitting a complaint to the FMCSA's National Consumer Complaint Database.
For more information on safe, stress-free travel, please refer to the FMCSA's Bus/Passenger Safety page.
And please check back tomorrow on the Fast Lane for more holiday travel safety tips.